March 29, 2017

Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales Part B

My favorite story this time was The Fairy Bride!



For starters, I loved Neen-i-zu's name and her character description. I like romantics and dreamers because I relate to them, so she was a delight to read about.

The concept of Happy land was also quite intriguing. I don't think a land of eternal summer would be perfect no matter how much you like the sun. Besides the weather, people wouldn't appreciate the happiness enough if they didn't have sorrow.

It could be interesting and fun, however, to take the elements of this and write a dystopian story, especially if only a handful find it not a utopia because they know better.

I was really glad that Neen-i-zu was against marrying the hunter because I really love deer, and I was especially proud of her for sticking up to her mother. But I hated that her mother tried to force her into it anyway. Her soon-to-be husband sounded like an exceptional bore.

I loved that Neen-i-zu was welcomed as a fairy and ended up with a man who suited her.

If I wrote a story retelling this or used elements of it, I would definitely still have Neen-i-zu and the fairy part. It was my favorite. But instead I think I would try telling it in modern day because people aren't described as ethereal as much anymore. On top of that, I think I would have given Neen-i-zu a choice where she wanders into the forest before her betrothal or another event, and Evergreen is there and offers her an out. I would have loved to actually see that part.

I'm not sure yet whether I'll rewrite Oweenee's story or Neen-i-zu's, but I'm feeling much more confident than last week.


Bibliography: "American Indian Fairy Tales" published by Henry Schoolcraft

Image Information: Personal photo taken by my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment