February 27, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki) Part A

In the beginning, I loved this collection.

My Lord Bag of Rice seemed like a strange name at first, but I loved the Dragon King's test of courage. For a moment, I thought about changing the Dragon King into the Dragon Queen and making it a stereotypical love story, but I didn't want the Dragon Queen needing to ask this random man for help. I tossed around the idea of a few different variations, but none seemed perfect. I'd love a female warrior and/or a female Dragon Queen, but I think I would end up changing the base idea of the story more than I'd like.

However, I was disappointed in The Adventures of Kintaro. I loved the idea that Kintaro could speak to animals and had animal friends, but the only direction that part of the tale went was a wrestling match that the monkey cheated during. I didn't really find a lot in this tale for me. I wanted more about his relationships or more about him doing something amazing rather than him arm wrestling and lifting a tree out of the ground.

I liked The Man Who Did Not Wish to Die more than The Adventures of Kintaro, but one of my writing professor's main rules is never to end a story with "and then I woke up." So it still wasn't my favorite. I loved the idea of the paper crane however. It was the first origami I learned to fold.



I picked this collection for the story of Hase-Hime, so I think my retelling will be based on that tale from Part B.


Bibliography: "Japanese Fairy Tales" by Yei Theodora Ozaki.

Image Information: "Origami Crane" by Andreas Bauer.

No comments:

Post a Comment