February 14, 2017

Reading Notes: Turkish Fairy Tales Part A

After a false start with a different choice, I really grew to like this collection.

The Fear story was very interesting. For a moment, I thought it would be a nifty idea to make fear an actual monster to seek out, but I don't know how effective that would be in under 1,000 words. However by the time the boy finally experienced fear, and it was a simple jump-scare, I was disappointed in this story and over the idea.

The Wizard-Dervish tale was extremely entertaining, however. I loved how the woman could shapeshift and use magic. I like that she helps the kidnapped prince and that they ended up together in the end. These are my favorite kind of tales, the short adventures where the couple ends up together. I'd love to rewrite this one from the girl's point-of-view and make it more focused on the rescue and magic aspect. If I did this though, I'm not too sure how different it would be. I could do it in a more modern setting where search parties show up in the forest at the end, and the girl turns back into a dove. She could make him swear to come back to the river if he loved her and that could be interesting.



I loved the Fish-Peri and Crow-Peri stories too! All of the stories in this unit have really been up my alley. It will be hard deciding which to do because I love animal to human stories, but that has already been done in these cases. I'm not sure how I could incorporate that in a different way, but it is one of my favorite concepts.

I will have to think about story ideas for this week, but I loved all of the tales so that shall make deciding and writing fun.

Bibliography: "Turkish Fairy Tales" by Ignacz Kunos.

Image Information: Personal photo taken by my mom at Pere Marquette State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment