February 15, 2017

Reading Notes: Turkish Fairy Tales Part B



When I first started Patience-Stone and Patience-Knife, I was really intrigued by the prophecy. However, I'm not quite certain how it actually played out in the story. Was the prince actually dead? I was confused, but really glad it ended happily because I was worried for awhile. While reading this, the maiden's prophecy reminded me somewhat of Warm Bodies. I'd like to do a story where I feel the prophecy really comes true (probably without the zombies, though).

While I found the story of the Imp of the Well was interesting, but I thought of it from a different perspective. When the imp went to bother the Sultan's daughter, I thought it would be interesting if he was like an actual presence. I would have had the Sultan's daughter then chat with her new ghostly friend. She could even say she was sick so that she could stay in her room and listen to stories he would tell. I might consider doing this retelling because it interests me and would be very different from the first.

I didn't love the Soothsayer story. Poor goose.

The wizard story was interesting, but I missed the "why" for all of the conflict. It would be fun to keep the magic aspect, but instead detail the relationship between a rude, malicious teacher and indentured pupil. It could be fun, but I'm not sure I could do it justice in 1,000 words.

The Liver story felt like it was building to something, but then it ended as if she hadn't just gone on this time-consuming quest.

I didn't like the bald-headed youth story because he didn't do anything of worth besides meddle and get noticed for moping. I prefer better characters than that.

The dreaming story betrays one of my writing professor's cardinal rules of never ending a story with "and then I woke up."

Out of all of these ideas, I think the Imp based tale suits me the best.


Bibliography: "Turkish Fairy Tales" by Ignacz Kunos.

Image Information: "Wishing Well" by Kaz.

No comments:

Post a Comment