February 1, 2017

Reading Notes: Jewish Fairy Tales Part B

The first story in this section really intrigued me. It reminded me somewhat of a fantasy short story I read recently where a prince promised to live in a tower in exchange for the prosperity of his people. He was to be stuck there until his debt had been fully repaid. He ended up living through many centuries watching people he loved and their descendants through a magical mirror. I thought it was a very interesting concept, as is Onias's story.

In King for Three Days, I liked how steadfast Rashi was. He was so certain of his prophecy and unflinching in his faith. I really liked that aspect, but the genocide was heartbreaking.

I loved Sarah's portion of Higgledy-Piggledy Palace. While Abraham smuggling her in a box was kind of weird, I loved the part where the "cudgeling" appeared behind the king and attacked him for her. I would love to write the story of a woman who actually is a witch or simply has a protector. It reminded me of a video game where the main girl has an entity that she can see and command that follows her, helps her, and protects her. I'd love to do a spin on this tale where Abraham really is Sarah's brother, and she can command/control a spirit or monster to defend herself from a pervert.

The Bogey-Man one was very interesting. It could easily be converted into some kind of steampunk fantasy story, but I think with Sarah's mythical guardian monster.

I also liked the frog story, but I would have rather there been a different animal. If I was doing a retelling of it, I know I would change at least that.


Image Information: "Northern Leopard Frog" by Brian Gratwicke. 

Bibliography: "Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends" by Gertrude Landa.

No comments:

Post a Comment