January 31, 2017

Reading Notes: Jewish Fairy Tales Part A

This week I chose Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa.

From the first story about Noah, I was very interested because it was different from all the versions of the tale I had heard as a child. The mere presence of a unicorn was remarkable and delightful to me. It led me to wanting to possibly do a fantasy style short story.

Reading the Quarrel of Cat and Dog was actually really disheartening. I felt so bad for the dog in the story. I know it was simply a means to explain why dogs and cats are usually at odds, but it didn't give me any ideas as much as make me sad.

However Shepherd-Boy to King really intrigued me. I like the young David wandering into the woods swearing he heard someone calling him. I was even more enthused when he was on top of a unicorn.



It just felt so mystical and fun. Deer are some of my favorite animals so I love that it was a deer that saved him. Because I usually write happy things, I'd love to mix it up and write a story of a boy who gets lost in the woods and needs saving, and a girl saves him and dies for him because she knows he will become king. I really like martyr tropes, so it would still mesh well into my style.

Bibliography: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa.

Image Information: "Blue Stars Unicorn" by Oliver Bassonville.

No comments:

Post a Comment