January 20, 2017

Potential Reading Options

For this upcoming week, I am looking forward to (hopefully) writing about Biblical Women. Ever since I was little I've heard Biblical stories. My mom once read the entire Bible to my sister and me as our bed time story over the course of a few months. When my grandmother gave me my very first Bible of my own, it had these adorable Precious Moments illustrations on a few of the pages.



But surprisingly, it was the New King James Version. My mom offered to get me an easier starter Bible, but I refused. I still love that Bible.
Besides being familiar with the general writing style, I absolutely love the story of Esther. My mom bought me the VHS tape of the VeggieTales version, and I must have watched it a hundred times. The last time I watched it was just a few months ago when I happened to see it on Netflix.

For weeks 4-5, I'm really excited to read Arabian Nights. I have always wanted to read it for some reason. There was an episode of Leverage, one of my favorite TV shows, where one character discusses Scheherazade and the musical piece related to her story. Ever since then, I've been enraptured with the idea of how amazing of a story-teller she was. Despite being a writing major, I'm not sure I could tell a compelling enough story to postpone my demise.

For weeks 6-7, I am so ready to read Japanese Mythology or Fairy Tales. I have loved Japanese culture since I started reading manga in seventh grade. Some of the fantasy manga I have read even had elements of tanuki or baku. I find Japanese culture so interesting, and I am so excited for the opportunity to read more about it and develop a story based off of it. I have taken an East Asian History class, and I am currently studying the Japanese language so I am somewhat familiar with various elements that would be found in the stories I will read.


Image Information: "Precious Moments Chapel" by Kelly. This is a picture on one of the walls of the Precious Moments Chapel in Carthage, Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment