January 20, 2017

Three Storybook Favorites

After paging through a few Storybooks, here are three I found very interesting.

Fifth Dimension:

This collection of stories written as scripts for a Twilight Zone-like TV show is amazing! They were all very creative and carried a consistent mood and tone. I watched Twilight Zone whenever I could when I was younger, so this was right up my alley. The author/narrator was humorous and made the whole universe she created seem very believable. I like that her introduction was similar to the Twilight Zone intro. While the formatting was very creative and fun, I wished the pictures had been higher up in the stories. Especially for the sorority story, I had already imagined a completely different house by the time I got to the image the writer used. But overall, the execution of this idea was fantastic!

Misfortunes of a Good Witch:

This one was the cutest out of the three I chose. I really like fairy tale retellings that give you a different perspective on a well known story, especially when they show you how an "evil" character is actually good like in Wicked. I liked how this author even added her own modern spin as she infused these old tales with not only the present day, but also her love for Harry Potter. It was refreshing and fun, and I wish there was more to read of poor Anna's story. Each of the short stories flowed well into each other, creating a light, but sound amalgamation of multiple tales.

Not to Touch the Earth:



My favorite thing to read in my free time is young adult fiction, especially dystopian novels. Along with those, I've always been interested in crime (my minor is Criminology), so Jenna's short story collection was nearly perfect for me. I loved the dynamics not only within the gang, but with Fox and Rye. Despite having to keep her pieces short, Jenna's world building was there, and all of my unanswered questions only made me more interested in the story rather than irritated at a lack of information. I'm so curious about every little aspect that brought them to this point and what the final installation will hold. I really want to see the end of Rye's character arc and what happens to Fox because of it.


Image Information: "Post-Apocalyptic City" by Ty'Onah Gallman.

No comments:

Post a Comment