January 30, 2017

Feedback Thoughts and Thoughts About Feedback



As a writer, I should be used to people giving me feedback.

But that's so far from the truth. Unless it is positive, I'm actually really terrible at not internalizing it.

Because of this, I was really excited to read the articles on accepting feedback, especially "Using Harsh Feedback to Fuel Your Career" because that is exactly what I would like to do. While I enjoyed reading his story and learning about the biases, I wasn't too sure about his tips. None of them seemed right for me or like they would actually help.

However, I thought the article "Overcoming Your Fear of Feedback" brought up some interesting points about self-esteem. I liked reading about Dweck's psychological study and then comparing it to my own life. I work part-time in the Honors Writing Center, and I can always give critical feedback when I edit the papers at home, but I try to remain positive in person. It is always one of my missions to try to balance constructive feedback and positive feedback. I also liked how this article brought up growth mindsets, another thing I'm trying to work on.

On the other end of the spectrum, I really liked how "Presence, Not Praise: How To Cultivate a Healthy Relationship with Achievement" brought up growth mindsets in a different way. This article helped me see that part of shifting myself into a better behavioral pattern is changing the way I speak to others.

As for "7 Characteristics of Better Learning Feedback", I liked that it gave me a list that I could reference whenever I edit papers or write a post. Sometimes I mistake other people's goals for what they actually are, so when I try to avoid being transparent, I end up falling short and simply moving them toward another goal instead.

All of these articles made me think more about the feedback I give and receive, whether in class or simply among friends.

Image Information: "Got Feedback?" by Alan Levine

No comments:

Post a Comment