January 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Bible Women Part B

When I started this unit, I knew exactly what story I was going to shift into my own creation.

With all my heart, I love Esther. Although honestly, when I think about Esther, I usually remember the VeggieTales version.

Esther was a leek in the movie.

She was strong and brave and saved her people and Uncle Mordecai from the Land of Perpetual Tickling/death (whichever version you prefer).

What I want to do with Esther's story is turn her into this badass warrior selected for her skill to become the queen. I haven't decided whether or not I want to keep the time period or shift it to medieval or fantasy. I could even do a more futuristic version which could be fun and work similar to my Tron idea for Rebekah.

One way I could keep it similar to the original story but shift it to something I would like more would be to make the king was looking for the best rebel fighters or something similar instead of beautiful virgins. It would be easy to then make the king less of an all-powerful patriarchal figure and just make him paranoid and brooding to explain away his "death to all those not called to court" rule.

I'd really love it if my Esther just poisons Haman at the banquet dinner for being a monster, but we'll see. If I have extra space, I can do much more damage to him.

While I read the other stories, I was really just excited to get started on cramming as much of my vision of Badass Warrior Queen Esther into 1,000 words.

Bibliography: The Bible in the King James Version.

Image Information: "Leeks" by Liz West.
Despite not being able to use a copyrighted image of the VeggieTales Esther, I did find this lovely picture of leeks which is the vegetable used to represent her.

No comments:

Post a Comment