April 18, 2017

Reading Notes: Italian Popular Tales Part A

This week I decided on Italian Popular Tales.

I started this collection mostly because I wanted to read the Italian version of Beauty and the Beast. I have always loved Belle, so it was really entertaining to read about Zelinda. I thought it was cool how the new movie adaptation had the same request from Belle/Zelinda made for her father to get a rose when he goes away to market. 
Especially since I love it so much, it would be fun to do a retelling of this myth. I would be totally down for writing, again, a more warrior like version, or even one where Zelinda seeks out the Beast to get a remedy for her ailing father. 



I thought the beginning of Fair Angolia was very interesting because it reminded me of Rumpelstiltskin at first, but the mother gave up Angolia relatively easily, and the myth turned into Rapunzel. I was really glad the prince came to help her, but I was so curious whether or not the mother had been looking for her. However, I was super disappointed when the prince immediately abandoned her when she was cursed. And in the end, the witch surprised me by actually caring about Angolia. 
Based off of this tale, I'd love to write a retelling where the child knew the mother was forced into giving her up so she grows up ornery until she escapes. She goes on a journey to find her birth mother, and when she finally does, the mom doesn't want or love her anymore (or maybe ever). It'd be more depressing than most of my stories but interesting to write.
But I also don't think I've ever read a boy Rapunzel so that could be fun too.

I thought the story of the devil not wanting to marry anymore was really funny, although the wives were a bit rude.

I truly hated Sir Fiorante for abandoning his first wife.

I really liked the story Water and Salt because I think salt is my favorite food, and it was kind of a cute thing to say. However, I was upset the dog died. I'm not sure if this one would be good as a retelling for me, besides, I have both Angolia ideas and Zelinda and the Monster to work with.

But I still have some time to decide, so we'll see!


Bibliography: "Italian Popular Tales" by Thomas Crane

Image Information: "Lindau Rapunzel" by Sarang

No comments:

Post a Comment