April 25, 2017

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales Part A

While I was entranced by the description that advertised the different types of stories to read in this section, I didn't find anything that inspired me util I read Three Copecks.

Initially, it was strange. I didn't really understand what a copeck was, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I was very confused as to why the boy thought that throwing the copecks into the well was a good indicator of how hard he worked/fate's plan for him. I really liked that he got a cat with the copecks he earned, but I was disappointed he gave it up so fast. I would love to write a story about a boy who adopts a cat that is being abused, and he keeps it and raises it into a giant super cool tiger or panther or something.



The other idea I had reading this story was to change the ending so that he doesn't just earn a wife, they actually fall in love on an adventure.

Marko the Rich deserved to suffer, but I don't think I'm the one to make it so.

I'd love to fix the story where the mother murders the snake husband that the girl loves. It definitely needs a happy ending.

I thought the two stories with the days of the week were very interesting. It would be interesting to see what I could do with this concept.

I didn't like that the lazy fool prospered. If he had been intelligent or respectful, the moral would have seemed better.

Overall, I am leaning toward the cat story, but maybe that is because I just watched Jungle Book.


Bibliography: "Russian Folktales" by W. R. S. Ralston

Image Information: Personal photo of a tiger from the St. Louis Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment