April 11, 2017

Reading Notes: More English Fairy Tales Part A



This week I am reading More English Fairy Tales.

To be honest, I started this unit for Tattercoats and the other two Cinderella-like stories, and so far I have not been disappointed. I love Cinderella variations and retellings so this could be really fun for me! I'd love to gender swap, play with the concept of the goatherd, or simply set it in modern times. Any one of them sounds like an interesting story to write. I really admired both the prince's steadfast love for Tattercoats as well as the goatherd's love for his friend. I could write one similar to my Turkish fairy tale retelling with the imp, but I think I ship Tattercoats and the prince too much.

I liked the idea of Johnny Gloke too, although the name detracts a lot from it. Again, genderswapping at least one character could be fun, but I'm not sure. I always like the idea of defeating monsters with brains over brawn (with the occasional side helping of luck).

While I didn't like that the original girl stole all the witch's money in the Old Witch, I liked that the younger sister was punished for her lack of kindness. The best part was that her punishment wasn't death, like in so many other tales.

The rest of the stories in the first half I either didn't love or didn't understand. I think I'll end up sticking with a variation of Cinderella because it is the most up my alley. I'm excited to read the other two similar tales in Part B.


Bibliography: "More English Fairy Tales" by Joseph Jacobs

Image Information: "Glass slippers at Dartington Crystal" by Glamhag

No comments:

Post a Comment