April 12, 2017

Reading Notes: More English Fairy Tales Part B

This second half only solidified my desire to do a Cinderella rewrite.

While I found The Children in the Wood interesting, I wasn't a huge fan of the prose. I was also really sad that the children died! I'd love to do a rewrite where only the brother dies, and the sister goes on to avenge him, or where they both have a kind of original Little Mermaid-esque revival and get to wreak the havoc on their uncle themselves.

Rushen Coatie was so similar to the Cinderella that I've always known that it surprised me. It would also be perfect for the Cinderella adaptation I was thinking about last night.  I would love to make the prince weak and so he issues a call to arms for the finest warriors. That is where Cinderella would show up and woo him/defeat his foes.

I liked the Little Bull story, and it is very similar to what I want to do. However, I didn't like that the Little Bull wasn't revived in some way. I'd love to rewrite just the kill the dragon & save the prince(ss) part.

The Dragon in Question


However I also really like the Children in the Wood idea for some reason, so I'm a bit conflicted.


Bibliography: "More English Fairy Tales" by Joseph Jacobs

Image Information: "Head Lizard" from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment