March 21, 2017

Reading Notes: Blackfoot Stories Part A



This collection was the first one I clicked on to try out. I took one look at its description and decided that I definitely wanted to read it for this week.

I thought the first story was interesting, but I was a bit confused as to what a gall or a dewclaw is. I tried to look it up, but I just found links and different versions of this story.

As for the second story, I hated that the wives wanted to kill their husband instead of trying to come up with a more civil solution. I love wolves, foxes, and coyotes though, so I was super excited when they showed up. But the most intriguing part of all was the "punishing society." I would love to write a story that imagined just what exactly the punishing society was. It is a super intriguing idea to me.

In the third story, I really liked that the wife and child weren't punished for the Raven Man's sins. Too often in myths innocent parties are punished because of a relative or friend so I loved that this didn't happen here.

I loved that the fourth story was about a happy couple and the man's undying love, up until the end. I was so impressed by his ability to remember the directions and their order because I kept getting confused. This myth really reminded me of Eurydice and Orpheus. It is so cool to see similar myths across different cultures and continents.

While short, I liked that the fifth story had a woman in a more important role.

Thunder was pretty rude in the sixth story.

I couldn't believe the old woman ate Long Feather! I thought this story was really clever though. The solution made sense, and the possible hint of another hungry cannibal old lady was a good way to end it.

I didn't love the Rolling Rock story because I don't usually like trickster characters.

At least in the ninth story, Old Man didn't break a promise with a rock that did him a favor.

In the very last story of this section, I liked that the sun was able to successfully get revenge.


Bibliography: "Blackfoot Stories" by George Bird Grinnel.

Image Information: Personal photo of the sun, clouds, and water in a state park.

No comments:

Post a Comment