March 2, 2017

Week Seven Storytelling: Suijin's Blessing



“Your tree is the only dry one in the forest.” Hatano glared up at me from below. “This rainy season will be the death of me.”

“At least you live in a cave,” I reminded him.

“A damp cave.” He sighed. “You could live there too.”

“Did your fire go out?”

“Yeah. Shichiro tried to warm water above it.” Hatano shivered as he leaned against the trunk.

I grabbed some sticks and ghosted my hands over the rough bark until it caught flame.

Hatano sighed contently as I moved the warmth toward him. “I was serious about you living there.” His soft brown eyes met mine.

“I don’t show just anyone my skills.” I separated small flames and weaved them around him. He held still but relaxed as the warmth enveloped him. “Besides, I’ve always been here.”

“Think about it, okay?” He moved slightly, and I dissipated the fire. “How am I supposed to grab this burning stick again?”

I exhaled a laugh. “I’ll walk you home.”

I quickly descended and bundled some wood together before lighting them, leaving one end untouched for Hatano.

As he jumped or fell the rest of the way, I stepped out into the rain. It surrounded me, but I never let it land directly on me. “My tree is going to get wet while I’m gone.”

“Everything is wet right now, Aguri.” Hatano gave me a look as he hesitantly stepped out from under the tree’s branches. I bent the water away from him with minimal effort.

“Let’s get going.”

*

I left Hatano before we reached the cave, wanting to avoid the prying eyes of the other abandoned kids. I kept the rain away as I watched him through the trees.

Someone asked Hatano a question I couldn’t hear, and he laughed.

“It’s a secret,” he replied to her, his voice just loud enough to reach me.

I turned and headed back home.

*

The heavy rains barely let up over the next week. Each time I ventured into town, the villagers whispered of flooding rivers and farms being washed away. Even the Tatsuta which flowed through the Imperial Palace was not spared. It was said to have expanded to three times its original size already. There were even rumors that the rush of the river was so loud that the Emperor could not rest.

It had been over a week since Hatano’s last visit when I heard a noise in the forest.

“Aguri!”

Why is someone calling me? Where have I heard that voice before?

“Aguri? Aguri, please!” Her voice cracked.

She’s one of Hatano’s misfits.

I scrambled down the tree quickly, barely spotting her drenched frame.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, and she startled before closing the distance between us.

“You have to help Hatano!” she begged, and I couldn’t tell whether her cheeks were covered in rain or tears. “He’s sick.”

Fear coursed through my heart. “Let’s go.”

*

When I made it to their little cave in the woods, there was no light coming from the dark entrance.

“When did the fire go out?” I asked the small girl following me.

“Three days ago.”

We entered the cave and swung around a small corner to where Hatano was resting. He was far too pale and sweat glistened on his skin. There were two kids sitting next to him looking terrified.

“I want you three to go get as many sticks as you can, okay? I am going to build a fire.” They scurried out, eager to help Hatano. He was laying on all five of their sleeping mats piled up, but water had still soaked in. I concentrated, drawing out the water and expelling it from the cave.

I placed a hand on Hatano’s forehead. He’s too warm.

One of the boys rushed in, dropping a pile of sticks in front of me.

“Thank you.” I set to work, building a fire in the least conspicuous way possible. Before long, it was roaring with heat. “I wish I could get some medicine.”

“Imada is trying today, but we’ve all failed.” The little girl placed her sticks down in one of the corners of the cave.

“How long has he been like this?”

“At least four days.” Her voice was quiet.

“Why didn’t you come find me earlier?”

“Hatano said only your name today while he was dreaming.”

I closed my eyes. “I’ll figure something out.”

*

After building a small mud dam to keep water out of their cave, I left for town.

But villager after villager turned me away.

“Please! My friend is ill!”

“Our Emperor is sick and dying, and you want me to help some orphan?” The woman scowled and left me outside in the rain.

But she gave me an idea. The next person I saw I asked about the Emperor.

“No priest or princess has been able to stop the Tatsuta’s roar.”

But I can do something they can’t.

*

I stole a formal kimono to wear to the palace.

I can only pray this works.

By keeping the rain off of my body and claiming I was a priestess who heard of the Emperor’s plight, the guards let me through and guided me to the banks.

The river was deafening and swollen far beyond last year’s levels.

Suijin, hear my prayers! Let your gifts bestowed upon me cease this torrent! Let the Emperor rest at last!” I closed my eyes and swept my arms out, forcing as much of the water away as I could.

When I opened my eyes again, it was quiet. The river had settled down into its narrow bed once again.

While rains still fell, they were lighter.

*

The Emperor rewarded me generously for allowing his rest.

Hatano recovered, and we built a house in the woods that stayed dry and sheltered all of us forgotten children.


Despite me leaving the palace, the river stayed down. I visit Suijin’s shrine every week, thanking him for his blessing.



Author's Note: Once again I got carried away and added magic into another tale. The original fairy tale is the story of Princess Hase who is able to calm the river's noise that is disrupting the Emperor's sleep by reading a beautiful poem/prayer that she wrote. I adapted this so that the poor girl with magic powers that could actually move water would be the one saving the Emperor. However, I didn't want to take religion out of it entirely, so Aguri prays to the Shinto god of water, Suijin.

I spent entirely too much time researching again, from trying to find out what Japanese orphanages are like to what kinds of trees grow in the region this is set in and whether or not there are lots of caves in Japan.

And, as always, I tried to pick fitting names. I tried to look up old/traditional Japanese names so that they didn't sound too modern. Aguri means "excessive" and is a name especially poor people would give to a child after they'd had too many and didn't want any more. Hatano and Imada's names were both drawn from similar lists and have farming related meanings. Shichiro means seventh son.

Bibliography: "Japanese Fairy Tales" by Yei Theodora Ozaki.

Image Information: "Burnett River in Flood" by Sweetbixkid.

3 comments:

  1. This was a very enthralling story Ellie! I really enjoyed reading it. I’m so glad that it ended the way it did, because I was afraid of tragedy when Hatano got sick. I really love a story that can pull me in and make me feel some type of connection to the characters and this one did just that. Terrific job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have written yet another delightful tale. Your are such a good story crater! This was a beautiful tale that brought me right into to plot, without excessive introductions. There was one thing that confused me. Was Aguri given powers because she prayed or because she was born with them? Aside from that slight confusion, I think your story was wonderful and I cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great story, Ellie! I was intrigued right from the beginning by your consistent storytelling style which was extremely enjoyable throughout. Some of the shorter scenes left me a little confused as to what role Aguri played (is she an orphan herself? I initially thought she was older because she lived by the dry tree) but I thought it was cool to see her in different settings and the impact she had on people! I really liked that she could use magic too. What exactly is her gift? This was really creative and fun to read- good job!

    ReplyDelete