March 22, 2017

Reading Notes: Blackfoot Stories Part B

While I didn't necessarily love the "women are weaker" notion, the Smart Woman Chief story was really fun. I liked that she wouldn't accept Old Man because he only wanted her when she was beautiful. I was also impressed by her ability to suddenly turn Old Man into a pine tree at the end.

In The Bobcat and the Birch Tree, I really hated that Old Man tricked the prairie dogs that had been kind to them.



Prairie dogs are one of my favorite animals and so it was especially heartbreaking for me to read about them burning to death.

I'm really getting tired of Old Man going around shamelessly killing animals. I feel so bad for the murdered ducks and prairie dogs and all of the other creatures he has gotten to.

In the first section of Kut-O-Yis, no matter how irritated I was that the old man had given his three daughters away to the same man in marriage, I still felt bad for him. The son-in-law treated him so horribly. However I was very excited to see where the blood child aspect went, although it was creepy to think the son-in-law would automatically consider the baby wife material if it was a girl.

I liked Kut-O-Yis in the second one, and I was very glad that the son-in-law died so that the old man would be fed properly and cherished again.



In the end I decided to go with the punishing society idea from the first half of the reading because it sounds so intriguing and reminds me of something Jenna would write. But knowing me, it will turn out completely different.


Bibliography: "Blackfoot Stories" by George Bird Grinnel

Image Information: "Prairie Dog" by Huskyherz

No comments:

Post a Comment